Hair is an important part of a women’s personality, it is a reflection of her mental and physical health. Every women goes through a period of hair loss at some point in life due to various factors like stress, hormonal imbalance, anemia, thyroid or insufficient absorption of nutrients. Many women are facing this challenge and wonder if they would ever get a shimmering lustrous hair again or not. It is normal to lose 50-100 hairs every day.
Hair is made up of a protein called keratin, produced in hair follicles in the outer layer of skin. As follicles produce new hair cells, old cells are being pushed out through the surface of the skin at the rate of about six inches a year. The hair you can see is actually a string of dead keratin cells.
Naturopathy deals with an ailment by diagnosing the symptoms and treating the root cause, suggesting precaution and remedies to prevent and contain hair loss. Cheer up folks! Hair loss can be treated after determining the cause, right from balancing hormones to improving absorption and assimilation of nutrients to managing stress or regulating overactive immune system
Diet is an integral part of naturopathy treatment. Naturopathy provides a very rich source of vitamins and proteins through nature. For restoring the vitality and growth of hair we should include some essential nutrients in our diet.
Here are some foods that will nourish and help with hair growth.
- Vitamin B: when the diet is inadequate in b vitamins especially B6, biotin, inositol and folic acid together with minerals like magnesium, sulfur and zinc, hair loss occurs. Vitamin B5 or pantothenic acid and B3 niacin, are especially important for hair growth.
Food source: mushroom, avocado, sweet potato, beans and lentils, brown rice, nuts are some foods rich in vitamin B.
- Iron: Iron deficiency anemia is one of the most frequent causes of hair loss. Iron plays a key role in manufacturing hemoglobin, the part of the blood that carries oxygen to different part of the organs and tissues in our body. When we are healthy, and when the level of iron is normal, oxygen is present everywhere in the body including scalp and there is good blood flow which in turn stimulates and promote hair growth.
Food source: Dried fruits like dates and raisins, dark green leafy vegetables like kale, collard greens, and whole grain cereals are good source for vegetarians. However, when choose plant base iron such as these mentioned above, make sure to have some citrus fruits like orange or orange juice so that, the iron get activated and can be metabolized in the body. Plant based iron source are non-active once and vitamin c aids in their absorption.
- Protein: As mentioned in the introduction, hair is made up of protein called keratin. A diet rich in protein encourage hair growth. Food Source: brewer’s yeast, wheat germ, beans and lentils, are some of the vegetarian food source. Mix together equal quantity of brewer’s yeast and wheat germ to two parts of granulated lecithin. Have this as supplement for a high protein diet to encourage hair growth.
- Zinc: plays a very key role in many functions in our body including cell production, hormonal balance. All these play a very important role in hair growth. When we are deficient in zinc hair follicles become weak causing strands to break off and fall out. A diet high in zinc help combat this problem. Food Source: nuts and seeds like sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, cashews, and lentils and beans are a good source for zinc.
Some Tips to Manage Your Hair
- Gently massage and shampoo into your length of your hair and use the conditioner at the end.
- Drying your hair- wrap your hair in a towel and let it dry. Gently rub with the towel.
- Brushing- if you have straight hair, wait until the hair dry a bit before using a comb. Use a wide tooth comb. However, if you have curly hair, comb your hair while it’s damp.
Reduce the use of artificial and synthetic products to minimal.
- Use as little as possible hair colors, styles and other hair products to limit hair damage. – Do not use brush or combs in excess. Use hair brush and combs as needed to set the style.
- Blow dryer- limit your use of blow dryer, curler, and hot iron as much as possible to prevent hair damage. Use lowest heat setting possible, when required.
In addition to healthy diet, reducing stress from the life is very important to keep your hair healthy and for a shimmering look. Find some kind of physical activity like yoga, exercise and meditation aids in healthy emotional outlets for stress relief.
Contact JKYNH lifestyle consultancy