Liver a detox machine
The liver is the largest internal organ and one of its vital function is to detox all the toxins in our body. It handles everything right from detoxifying blood from foreign substances to storing sugar, vitamins, and iron, to processing foods and aiding in nutrient absorption. A well-functioning liver means an increase in energy and overall well-being.
How does the liver helps detoxify the body of all the foreign elements not meant for the body?
The first step: the body needs enzymes to burn the toxins in the body. Some of the enzymes required to eliminate the toxins are aided by certain foods namely:
Some Foods That helps in Detoxifying and cleansing Our Body
- Artichoke increasing bile production which helps in breaking down the foods which aid the absorption of the nutrients in the body. It is good to have increased production of bile.
- Apples ‘An apple a day keeps the doctor away’. Apples are loaded with fiber, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals. All these nutrients help in liver detox. Apple also has compounds which increase bile production, which helps in getting rid of toxins in the body.
- Almonds are rich in vitamin E, alpha-tocopherol, the form of vitamin E that readily gets absorbed in the body. They are also a good source of fiber, calcium, magnesium, and protein. Nuts are satiating and help in keeping us full for longer and removes impurities from the bowel.
- Asparagus: This spring vegetable is not only a natural detox, but also helps us protect from certain cancer. Asparagus has anti-aging properties because it’s rich in antioxidants, which helps our heart stay healthy. It is a good source of folate, vitamin E, A and C.
- Avocado: Consuming avocado is associated with better diet quality and nutrient intake. People who consume avocado, have a lower intake of added sugars, lower body weight, BMI and waist circumferences, in addition to ‘good cholesterol’ (HDL) levels and lower metabolic syndrome. Avocado has glutathione, an antioxidant, which protect from certain carcinogens while helping the liver detoxify chemicals.
- Basil: ‘Pounding fragrant things, particularly garlic, basil, parsley, is a tremendous antidote to depression’- by Patience Gray. Basil is loaded with antioxidants and anti-bacterial properties, which guard against bacterial, yeast, fungi and protects in forming free radicals. It has compounds which help in digestion and detoxification process. Try incorporating basil in your diet, make chutney or add it in your curries or sambar.
- Ginger: This aromatic, pungent spice is used for ages for relief from gastrointestinal distress caused by motion sickness. It also helps in reducing nausea and vomiting. Modern scientific findings have revealed that ginger poses antioxidant properties, and inhibits inflammation. Ginger increases metabolism, flushes out wastes, thus helping liver function. Ginger in any forms- candy, tea, in a stir fry or in soups is beneficial, especially if you are suffering from a fatty liver caused by excess alcohol consumption.
- Kale: is a new liver and body detox ‘superfood’. This fellow cruciferous family vegetable is packed with antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties in addition to vitamins and fiber along with phytochemicals which protect against many diseases. When kale is steamed, the fiber content in the vegetable binds better with bile acids, thus aiding getting rid of bad cholesterol.
- Olive Oil: We all have heard and read about the health benefits of olive oil especially of its heart-healthy property. DO NOT use olive oil in high heat. While choosing olive oil, choose cold-pressed or ice-pressed olive oil. Ice pressed olive oil has higher immune boosting properties, namely antioxidant.
- Water: Flush out your system with enough water, it is something people today do not drink enough substituting it with artificial drinks. Adding a dash of lemon to water makes it even better. Lemon or any citrus fruits contain vitamin C and minerals, that boosts bodily functions and enhance the cleansing process by sweeping out wastes. Flushing our system is like giving our body a good pre-wash so that the blood stays healthy at optimal pH levels 9.
Why do we need to detoxify our body?
- To enhance the energy level
- Weight loss
- Boosts immune system
Healthy Liver is key to Healthy LIVING.
Contact Jagadguru Kripalu Yoga and Naturopathy Hospital, one of the leading naturopathy hospital in India, for lifestyle consultation. http://www.natural-cure.org/contact-us/
by Pragya Sinha