What is Black Fungus or Mucormycosis?
A fungus called Mucormycetes present in the environment is the main cause of Black fungus or ‘mucormycosis’. It is a fatal disease which is most likely to infect old age people during or post covid, apparently due to excessive use of steroids and prolonged unhygienic oxygen delivery. At present, India is estimated to have over 10,000 black fungus cases. The fungus surrounds the blood vessels and destroys them resulting in death of body tissue. Unchecked levels of blood sugar and steroids abuse during Covid treatment are considered as the reasons for the black fungus outbreak.
Common Symptoms of Black Fungus
- Nasal blockage or congestion
- Blackish or bloody nasal discharge
- Black spot over the bridge of nose or palate
- Blurred or double vision with pain
- Shortness of breath
- Cough, chest pain, and collection of water in the lungs
- Facial numbness or tingling sensation
- Mild to moderate fever
- Loosening of teeth
Precautions to prevent Black Fungus
- Maintain your surroundings clean and free from dust and dampness.
- Use rubber gloves, masks, and boots while gardening or exposing yourself to nature.
- Avoid construction areas, fields and grounds.
- Reduce steroids intake.
- Keep strict control on blood glucose level.
- Avoid unnecessary use of broad-spectrum antibiotics or antifungals.
- Maintain good hygiene and cleanliness.
- Keep yourself hydrated.