Naturopathy treatment for constipation involves a host of natural home remedies. It starts with determining the causes and suggesting all natural remedial treatment.
Constipation is a universal digestive disorder spanning through people of all ages. Our modern lifestyle methodically diminishes the diversity of the gut microbiome.
Easily digestible processed food starve gut microbes of essential nutrients. Laxatives get things moving but do not cure the underlying cause.
What Causes Constipation?
- Unhealthy food habits, regular consumption of highly processed and non-fibrous food along with less intake of water are some of the common cause of constipation.
- All processed food like white flour, instant oatmeal, white sugar, flavored yogurt, cookies, pastries and high-fructose corn syrup contain high carbs that hurts the gut microbes by creating an imbalance between good and bad bacteria.
- Bowel disorder also has its link to stress.
- However the most important cause is suppressing the nature’s call at proper time due to carelessness and laziness.
How can one Avoid Constipation?
Naturopathy treatment for constipation recommends a high fiber diet, at least 25 grams of fiber for women and 35gm for men. Add prune, raspberries, pears, apples, lentils, beans and almonds to daily meal. High fiber diet helps restore the balance in the gut and heals chronic constipation.
- Remain hydrated – Supplement fibrous diet by adequate amount of fluid, for the proper absorption of the fiber in the digestive tract. The simplest fluid available is water. At Least 1.5-2 liters or eight glasses of water is recommended.
- Feed your gut with good bacteria –Probiotics (healthy bacteria) and prebiotics (food for the bacteria) increase the level of beneficial bacteria in the gut which help streamline metabolic disorder like irritable bowel syndrome. Probiotic food are idly, yogurt and kefir
- Avoid broad-spectrum antibiotics – Indiscriminate intake of antibiotics reduces bacterial diversity in the gut. Antibiotics do not distinguish between the good bacteria and the bad bacteria and kills both the bacteria indiscriminately. This leads to a chronic imbalance in the gut, which can trigger gastrointestinal problems.
- Yoga – The most effective Yoga to enhance digestion and help relieve constipation and inflammation is chakrasana, cobra pose, triangle pose etc. Nothing beats the health benefits of yoga. The benefits of 30minutes of regular walk is unprecedented.
Diet is the binary code of naturopathy treatment for constipation.
- Embrace leafy greens like spinach, kale and fibrous meal. The chlorophyll in green leafy vegetables is also known to decrease colon risk cancer.
- Add high fibre food like beans, prunes, figs, pears and oatmeal.
- Prunes are one of the oldest home remedies for constipation. High in fibre, prunes also contain a compound called dihydroxyphenyl , which kicks the colon into action.
- Raisins are also high in fibre as well as tartaric acid, which has a laxative effect.
- Mix one to two teaspoons of psyllium seeds into a cup of hot water. Let it dissolve for two hours, add lemon and honey, then drink.
- Flaxseeds are high in fibre and contain heart-healthy omega -3 fats.
- High intake of fibre must be complemented with at least 8 glasses of water a day.
- Beetroot has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and are known to reduce precancerous lesions in the colon.
Loosen up with some hot liquids
- Start your day with glass of warm water with a dash of lemon and honey
- A cup of hot coffee also helps as caffeine has a bowel-loosening effect, avoid an overdose as it is also a diuretic.
- Herbal or decaffeinated tea also moves the gastronomy and boosts phytonutrients.
- Dandelion tea acts as a mild laxative.
- Castor oil, though tastes awful works magic. It has a compound which stimulates the small and large intestines Take one or two teaspoons on an empty stomach and give it eight hours to work its magic.
Few Important tips
- Don’t force bowel movement. It can cause hemorrhoids or anal fissures that eventually narrow the anal opening, causing constipation.
- Never suppress nature’s call.
- Harbour healthy gut flora through the power of a few lifestyle changes as naturopathy believes in the innate power of the body to heal itself.
Contact JKY Naturopathy Hospital for lifestyle consultation.
by Pragya Sinha